Thursday, October 24, 2013

First Stamp in the Passport!

We are home from our first international trip! My little world traveler, my mom (Mema) and I ventured across the pond this past weekend to Dublin to visit my twin sister. It was a great weekend and so special to be with my sister on her home turf. Contrary to popular belief, she is not the mayor of Dublin... yet. But when she decides to run she may have some competition. Finn was a hit. He met loads of people and toured the town with us all weekend. It was truly memorable!!

Unfortunately, our weekend almost ended on a bad note. Our first attempt at getting home was a rough one! Long story short, our plane had mechanical issues and we spent the majority of the day sitting on the airplane without ever going anywhere. Our 11:20am flight was eventually cancelled at 6:30pm (Shortly after Finn vomited. Hooray!) After almost 12 hours at the airport, I got some sense and checked us into the Four Seasons for the night! We even got upgraded because of our sob story. I am not ashamed to admit we spoiled ourselves and deserved every minute of it. Nothing against the fabulous hotel we stayed in all weekend but Aunt Catie lives just down the way a bit. So she came right over and we ordered room service and ate dinner in our pj's! We had to end the weekend on a high note and we did!

We were rebooked for the next day and eventually made it back to Atlanta at 10pm Tuesday night. (That's 3am Dublin time.) Finn went right to sleep and woke up at 7am (ATLANTA TIME!)  It was a flawless as it could have been but a long day of travel none-the-less.

If this trip taught me anything, aside from how much patience I truly have, it is that Finn is a total trooper. Aside from making friends with an entire airplane of people during a 9 hour delay, he rolled with all the punches we were throwing him. He slept in strollers, pack n plays, hotel cribs, Aunt Catie's bed, taxis, airplane seats, airplane floors, my lap, etc. He adjusted to time changes like no one I've ever seen before. He ate what we gave him and drank whatever milk was available. He has always been a great traveler but this was a new level. 

I still can't help but think that this surgery will rock his world but I am definitely optimistic. I know he will be uncomfortable and scared at times. I worry he'll be in pain and won't sleep. But then I remember he's Super Finn and he's going to be okay.




"Treat a child as though he already is the person he's capable of becoming." - Haim Ginott

No comments:

Post a Comment