Saturday, October 12, 2013

One Month To Go...

Today marks our 1 month countdown to surgery day. While my emotions have leveled out for the most part, it is still hard not to get upset when I look at my perfect little man.

We just had an amazing two days in Charlotte, NC for a dear friend's wedding. It was a beautiful setting and the most sincere example of true love. Finn was the ring bearer and, in my opinion, stole the show! (Sorry Alex and Emily!) He was a total champ all weekend. He was dragged (not literally) here and there and never missed a beat! I was a proud mama!

I drove the 3 1/2 hours home (hubby had a best man hangover) and it gave me a lot of time to reflect.

I thought a lot about people who have been through much harder things. They are wonderful examples to draw strength from. Our drive took us by Winder, GA. I thought a lot about a young boy named Tripp Halstead who is from Winder. Last fall, he suffered a traumatic brain injury when a tree branch fell on him outside of his daycare. (Oddly enough, the branch fell as a result of winds from Hurricane Sandy. Hard to believe Hurricane Sandy's path was that expansive.) Tripp was airlifted to Egleston Children's Hospital in Atlanta. Though Finn will be treated at a different children's hospital, I can't help but think of the Halstead family during our visits. We are so lucky to have two amazing children's hospitals in our backyard.

Tripp, a sweet young boy, and his parents have suffered so much. But their strength is an inspiration to me. Tripp's mom, Stacy, has been updating a Facebook page dedicated to him since the day of the accident. At first, it was extremely difficult to read, especially being a new mom. Now, when I read her posts, I put myself in her shoes and wonder how she handles these challenging times... far more challenging than what we will endure with Finn. I know I will think of Stacy many more times over the next month and especially on November 12th. I just hope I can be half as brave.

We are very fortunate to have amazing family and friends to support us. Even though our immediate families are in NY and CT, they have all offered to be here for us. We still have the greatest friends up north but are blessed with a whole new group of wonderful friends in Atlanta too. I want to thank all of you who have been there for us. Wine, nights out, talks, shoulders to cry on, wine. Y'all hold a special place in my heart for all the times you've made me smile.

Brian and I have both joined a Facebook support group - Cranio Kids. It is an amazing resource. Any questions I have have already been asked and answered by moms and dads who have been there, survived and are stronger people because of it! They use the term "the other side" when referring to babies/children that are post-op. I am already looking forward to that first post from the other side! Only one month to go.

On a very bright white note - here is a picture of Finn in all his ring bearer glory. As we were saying our goodbyes to the bride and groom, I told them that I will always remind Finn of the 1st wedding he was a part of. It was truly special. This one is going in the baby book. :)



“Tough times never last, but tough people do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment