Saturday, November 11, 2017

4th Cranioversary!

Well it appears 2 years have gone by since this little blog got some love! But I'm always reminded to revisit as the anniversary of his surgery approaches! 11/12/13 was the big day.
4 years later, I am happy to report that "no news is good news!" This handsome devil is already 5 years old and blows our minds daily. His love of Jeopardy would make great-grandma Alice proud! He has taken pre-k by the horns and can't wait to go to kindergarten. We are so grateful that he is growing into a smart, young boy! A good friend of mine was just recently commenting on how smart he is. She also joked that it's funny that it was his head we worried about for so long and now look at him! I told her they made too much room for his brain to grow! We are truly blessed!



Anyway, back in medical land, I'm not even entirely sure the last time we visited CHOA... for something cranio related that is! I guess that is a good thing! We've moved on to the wonderful world of ENTs instead. Back in February, Finn had his tonsil and adenoids removed. Just like mom and dad did when they were kids! It was a funny feeling walking into the same waiting area and pre-op rooms. This time was a little less emotional for mom knowing the surgery ahead was far less invasive and risky but maybe a little more emotional for Finn since he was much more aware of his surroundings. But he did great!
And there was one moment when mom did get a little emotional! It was after one particular knock at the door. Assuming it was another nurse or anesthesiologist, I opened the door, only to find it was Finn's neurosurgeon, Dr. Reisner and his PA Blair. They "just happened to see his name on the day surgery schedule and wanted to say hello." I was moved to tears! It was the smallest, yet most thoughtful gesture. One you can only expect from a place like CHOA! It also instilled that confidence that Finn was in great hands with his ENT, Dr. James Thomsen from PENTA. As you probably guessed, Finn handled the surgery like a total champ! (Way better recovery than his mom's back in 1990!!) He was back and better than ever in no time at all! And now you can actually sleep in the same room as him because he doesn't snore!

                              

A few months after Finn's tonsillectomy, I was asked by two dear friends to be the speaker at the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Fairytale Tea and to share Finn's story. The Fairytale tea is a mother-daughter event that has taken place here in Atlanta for years. I had always imagined Katherine and I attending as she got a little older but I was so flattered to be asked to speak! It was a special day for me! I know I've told the story countless times but I realized I'd never done so in such a public (face-to-face) setting. Nerves aside, I got through it and it really was an honor to share our experience and to raise awareness for cranio. As friends, family and readers know, we feel very fortunate to have a place like CHOA right in our backyard and we do our best to support it whenever we can. I couldn't help but end my speech with the story of Dr. Reisner and Blair's visit.


Thanks for checking in! I'll be sure to report back if anything changes but for now we'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming of work, school, sports, traveling and holidays!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment